Most holidays, and especially Christmas, will forever be the perfect time for Sugar cookies. The cookie cutter options are endless and the frosting and sprinkles are a great way to make them unique and special for everyone.
This recipe is the same recipe that my mom, sisters and I made growing up. So, of course, this is an oldie and a goodie. I feel like if there is a recipe that has been used for 30+ years, it is most definitely a great recipe to keep around. Don’t worry about going to the store to pick up the pre-made cookie dough, just grab the things you don’t have at home and make a fresh batch of these sugar cookies.
- 2 cups butter
- 2 ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup cream or milk
- 6 cups flour
- 1 ½ tbsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ cup butter
- 7 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Thoroughly cream butter, sugar and vanilla.
- Add eggs. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Add milk.
- In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients. Mix into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough into thirds and chill.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll into ¼ inch thickness. Cut into shapes.
- Bake at 375° for 6-10 minutes.
- Cool slightly on pan, then remove from pan to completely cool.
- Once cookies are cooled, decorate with frosting and sprinkles.
When it comes to decorating cookies, the options are endless. Here are a few ways that we like to decorate our cookies:
- Simply add sprinkles to the dough before you bake the cookies. This can be a bit messy, anything with sprinkles usually becomes messy, but a quick way to be finished with the cookies once they’re baked.
- Frost and done. Make your frosting one color or a few different colors. Frost the cookies with a spoon, knife, spreader or piping bag. After letting them set for about 10-15 minutes the cookies are ready to serve.
- Frost and sprinkle to your hearts desire. Sometimes it’s doing it all that makes the cookies extra tasty, and kids love all the things for their cookies.
- Fancy frosting decorating with all the piping bags and tips of many shapes, colors and sizes. When it’s me doing the decorating, this is my favorite. I love the beauty that just a little extra touch gives a sweet and simple sugar can create.
I hope you make time to enjoy a little baking for yourself or the whole family. These will always be a go to around most holidays to spread the special holiday cheer we all love at different times of the year.
Merry Christmas and Happy Baking!